“Empowering the abused woman to recover with God's truth"
"Forgiving & Forgetting" (Part IV)
Steps to overcome the fear of rejection:
1. Read through these materials and make a conscious decision not to operate out of a fear of rejection
any longer. Start a journal.
2. Identify in your journal the person (s) from whom you fear rejection.
3. Identify in your journal how your fear of rejection is displayed in your behavior toward the people
you identified in Step 2.
4. Identify in your journal healthy, productive, and rational alternative behavior patterns to those
identified in Step 4.
5. Identify in your journal what obstacles other than your fear of rejection; exist in your adopting the
alternative behavior listed in Step 4.
6. Analyze the obstacles listed in Step 6 and identify in your journal whether they are irrational beliefs or
actual obstacles to change. If they are irrational beliefs, use the Tools for Coping Series refutation of
irrational beliefs, in Tools for Personal Growth. If the obstacles are not irrational belief, use the five
dimensional problem- solving model found in Production Problem Solving, to find alternatives to rid
yourself of these obstacles
(Go to http://www.livestrong.com/article/14728-handling-irrational-beliefs/for more information).
7. Implement alternative behavior patterns not based on a fear of rejection.
8. If you are still having problems, return to Step 1 and begin again. Remember, God is with you and
He will help us. But you must actively seek for your deliverance. You must put forth the effort and be
persistent in your recovery process.
Dr. Dorothy E. Hooks